Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Libations

Here in Ghana, there is a custom of pouring libations, but unlike the West, where we pour libations  in the memory of someone who has passed on, the act celebrates living people.  More specifically, it brings good luck to the person who bought the drink for the person pouring it out.  It's a mutually beneficial relationship; the drinker pours out some portion of the drink, (or one of the drinks if more than one were given,) praises the giver as he or she does so, then drinks the rest.  In some cases, the drinker will ask that the giver receive some specific good fortune.  If the giver is going on a journey, the drinker will ask for the giver's safe return.  Another interpretation of the way libations work, which doesn't really conflict with the one above, is that each drink given adds a year to the life of the giver. 

The pouring of libations is especially the custom among Ga people, whose indigenous lands include Accra, but people of many different ethnic groups do it here.  I first heard about it from the landlord and eldest, i.e. "senior brother" of the family compound where I'm living, who is also the go to guy for all my apartment related issues.  On his way out last Sunday, he asked me why I hadn't bought him a libation yet.  I've yet to see him again, bet when I do I'll be buying him a drink. 

No comments:

Post a Comment