Wednesday, August 8, 2012

One for the language nerds

I recently started learning Twi, the Ghanaian language most widely spoken in Accra (albeit in multiple dialects and with varying degrees of fluency.)  I've found that in some ways it's very different from English.  For instance, it is a tonal language (it has two tones) and when establishing a verb tense, one conjugates the subject (if it is a pronoun) and the verb.  In a lot of cases, though, the syntax is surprisingly similar to English.

Take this sentence, for example:

Sɛ me ka Twi a wo bɛ te,

where
sɛ = if
me = I
ka = say (present tense)
Twi = Twi
a = definite article, like "the"
wo = you
bɛ = will/ future tense modifier
te = hear/ understand,
making the translation, "If I speak (the) Twi, you will understand."

In this sentence, the only way the Twi syntax differed from the English was the placement of the article "a", which follows the noun rather than preceding it as it would in English.  Another example of the similarities you find between languages of entirely different origins.

1 comment:

  1. Bro. You owe me a dollar for time spent reading this ;-)

    ReplyDelete