Saturday, July 21, 2012

We are all products of our environments

The other day, I was talking to a couple of my new Ghanaian friends, both about my age, and they told me that they cannot distinguish white people from Asian people.  You do see a few white and Asian people around on the street here, especially in more international neighborhoods like Osu and commercial centers like the central market, but most Ghanaians have little if any direct contact with them.  I thought it was funny because in the United States, we consider the difference so obvious.  However, since white and Asian people are both relatively fair skinned and because some white people have black hair, Ghanaian people who have had little exposure to members of either group have trouble telling them apart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment